February 22, 2005

Down-time at work...

I haven't really been one to keep a journal. Every time I've tried it's fallen by the wayside as more interesting things have come up, but for some reason this thing keeps calling me back to it.

So I find myself faced with the fact that some stranger who stumbles upon my blog might not know me from Adam, and since I talk alot about how things affect me, I might as well take the time to tell you all about me.

I'm in the Coast Guard. Right now I'm stationed at NAVCEN, and I'm a lead watch stander for the Nationwide Differential Global Positioning System network. The Coast Guard is in charge of maintenance and development of a GPS augmentation system (DGPS), and it's my job to make sure that 37 of the 87 sites stay in working order.

So I'm here dealing with a site which has been affected by the heavy weather in Southern California. On top of the site not doing what it's supposed to I now have a loss of comms, which means if the site comes back online I won't know it. Fun, huh?

On top of all that there is severe weather in Alaska, so one of my sites up there is freaking out, and in Hawaii I can't tell what the weather is because the radar station near one of the sites down there isn't giving me a current image. That site is freaking out, too. Fun, huh?

4 comments:

tammo21 said...

gps rox. by the way a mongo is a mongoloid, IE a retard, bug eater, window licker, balloon holder, and so on.

Daddoooo said...

Sorry slick... Didn't know we were changing the meaning of words. Last time I checked, mongoloid was the term used to describe the ethnic physical attributes of Asian people, you know, like my fiance? Balloon holder? I remember you used to love balloons! Maybe that's cause they freaked grandma out, though... What's with being allergic to latex? That's like being allergic to soap, though sometimes you'd have to wonder if she was allergic to both!

bismuth said...

just cruising around. interesting work you have.

Daddoooo said...

Thanks... twernt nothin'. Just trying to call the shots as I see em. Check out my brother's little hole on the net. He's got a unique view of the world...